How to Pay a Bill in the Town of Auburn

The Collector’s Office collects all types of tax bills as well as utility bills (sewer, trash). All these bills may be paid in any of the listed ways.

  1. Bank Online Payment Systems
  2. By Mail
  3. Cash
  4. Checking Account
  5. Checks
  6. Credit Cards
  7. In Person
  8. Outside Mailbox
  9. Partial Payments
  10. Online

Bank Online Payment Systems

Some residents prefer to pay their municipal bills by using online systems offered by their bank. We do not recommend this type of payment because no bill is remitted with the payment, and because the online payment vendors have informed us that they discourage their customers from using their services to make payments to governmental units. We will accept these payments, however, provided that we can immediately determine for whom and for what type of bill the payment is being remitted. If we cannot make such determination, we will mail your check back to you and ask that you return it with the appropriate bill form.

In order to avoid having these types of checks returned to you, please make sure that:

  • It is clear what type of bill is being paid (tax, excise, utility)
  • You include the bill number and year if payment is being made on a tax or excise bill (tax and excise bill numbers change
  • Every year, so you should verify the bill number each time you make a payment)
  • You include the account number if payment is being made on a utility bill
  • Your name and address are prominently displayed on either the check or the check stub

Errors and/or Insufficient Funds

The confirmation that you will receive from UniBank verifies only that the bank has received your payment information, but does not confirm the electronic transmission of funds. Occasionally, we are notified that a transaction has been reversed because an invalid account or routing number was used. In this situation, we must also reverse the payment, leaving your bill unpaid. 

If this happens, we will notify you by email and also by U.S. mail so that you can reissue the payment either online or by sending a check to the Collector’s Office. If an online payment must be reversed because of insufficient funds, the Town of Auburn will charge the statutory penalty of $25, just as we would for a check returned for this reason.

Insufficient Funds Checks

Any check which is returned to this office and, for whatever reason, is not honored by the payer’s bank, will be subject to the statutory penalty as outlined in Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 60, Section 57A. The penalty is 1% of the face value of the check with a minimum charge of $25.

If your check is returned to us, we will charge back the payment to the appropriate account (taxes, excise, utility) along with the penalty. If the insufficient funds check was in payment of a tax bill, and if the payment due date has passed, interest and all other applicable fees will be charged to the account.